NRA Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home
National Rifle Association Personal Protection in Home and Outside Home
Conducted by a Multi-Discipline Certified Law Enforcement Instructor.
With this course, participants gain the knowledge, skills and attitude essential for avoiding dangerous confrontations and for the safe, effective and responsible use of a concealed handgun for self-defense inside and outside the home. You will review safe firearms handling and mindset. You will learn presentation from concealment and multiple shooting positions. This course contains the essential skills and techniques needed to prevail in a life-threatening situation.
Duration: 16 Hours – (2) 8 Hour Days
Course Cost: $300.00 *includes range fees and targets
Course Goal: You will gain the basic knowledge, skills and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of yourself and family inside your home. You will also gain the knowledge and skills that must be mastered in order to carry, store and use a firearm safely and effectively for personal protection outside your home. You will also receive and learn information on the law-abiding citizen’s right to self-defense.
You must possess at least one of the following:
- Basic Pistol Course Certificate
- NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program Certificate
- A Pistol qualification card
- A DD 214 Military Card w/pistol qualification
- Concealed Carry Permit
Participants in the Personal Protection course should be experienced shooters and able to show a mastery of the basic skills of safe firearm handling. If necessary, this course will put participants through an evaluation exercise, where potential students are asked to demonstrate safe gun handling, shoot a series of five shot groups, discuss the steps necessary to “zero” a pistol and demonstrate how to properly clean a handgun.
Course Subject Matter:
- Meets requirements for above CCW certification
- Introduction to Defensive Shooting
- Basic Defensive Handgun Skills
- Firearms and the Law: Possession, Ownership and the use of Deadly Force
- Strategies for Home Safety and Responding to a violent confrontation
- Selecting a Handgun for Personal Defense
- Sport Shooting activities and training opportunities
- Course review and examination
- Level I and Level II Outside the Home Situations *level II students are given additional range training that teaches advanced presentation from concealment
- Multiple shooting positions
- Principles that are specific to defensive situations
- Skills and techniques needed to prevail in life threatening situations
Gear to bring to course:
- A modern firearm (.38 Revolver or 9mm handgun or larger caliber) *for those who do not yet have a permit or own a firearm, it will be provided by the Instructor- Please call the office if you do not have a handgun.
- 200 Rounds of factory ammunition
- 3 speed loaders or magazines
- Belt mounted, dominant side concealment holster
- Magazine / Speed loader pouches
- Sturdy belt at least 1.5” wide
- Footwear suitable for rapid movement and turning
- Baseball style hat
- Eye protection
- Hearing protection
- A Jacket or shirt capable of covering the weapon
- Clothing appropriate for climate and conditions
- Knee pads (Optional)
Course Completion: Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection outside the Home handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure and the appropriate course completion certificate(s), NRA Basic Personal Protection outside the Home certificate and the NRA Advanced Personal Protection outside the Home certificate.
- ATFT Salisbury, MD Classrooms and Range
- Mobile Training Teams
- 3rd Party Host Sites
Don’t currently have a firearm permit?
Our Maryland Handgun Qualification License course teaches you all the necessary skills and law needed to obtain that permit. For more information just click here. For states other than Maryland, please visit our classes page to find the right class for you. Click here.